Data for an unbiased assessment of referees’ performances.
InStat studies a referees’ performance in more detail than any other statistical company. InStat Scout has profiles of every referee and creates an individual report after every match.
The performance of referees is important for national federations which assess the referee staff, as well as for the referees themselves. There are 53 parameters for each referee, and every number is linked to videos and physical activity data, which provide detailed information about the referee’s work in the match. The statistics help to understand how much the referee affected the course of the match, and how well they kept up with the game.
InStat developed a unique parameter for assessing the referee’s performance called “Distance to the episode”. We introduced this indicator after consulting with referees from different countries. We register the referee’s exact position when a goal is scored, a shot on goal is taken or a foul is committed. The optimum distance is between 8 to 20 meters. If the distance is more, the referee cannot see the details of the episode. If the distance is smaller, the referee will not be able to keep up with the game situation if it changes quickly or if the ball gets played behind the referee’s back. The average distance to an episode in a match reflects the level of the referee’s performance in a particular match and in the season in general.
What does InStat have for referees
- Parameters on decisions made: cards, disputable decisions, missed fouls, cancelled goals and so on.
- Types of fouls. We will show how often the referee registers handballs or detects simulation.
- Each decision is linked to video and interactive charts. Referees’ pages in InStat Scout are completely clickable.
- Postmatch reports with tables and infographics.
- Tracking the referees’ physical activity. We estimate the total distance covered, the intensity of load, the number of runs and sprints performed.
- Time spent on making decisions. Our statistics include the ball-in-play time as well as the time spent on set pieces, kicks, throw-ins and medical assistance.
- Distance to episode and statistics on decisions taken in key zones.
Statistics improve the referees’ performance and help to set a quality standard. As of today, InStat for referees is used in Russia, Poland, Hungary and other countries. InStat data is more than 99% accurate – any figure in a report can be confirmed, for instance, by the episode video.GET INSTAT FOR REFEREES